Been a day of computer changes

By , May 8, 2008 11:04 pm

Or updating or something. Earlier in the week had replaced a hard drive in Cat’s machine with a new one cause hers was showing errors. After replacing it and copying everything over to the new one got to looking at the one I took out. When in the machine it was showing up with 2 partitions, one about 4 gb and one about 152 gb, and when the computer was bought it was advertised as having a 160 gb drive. But when I got it out it stated on the drive it was a 120 gb drive. Looked it up online and the specs showed it as a 120 gb drive. Put it in my linux box this morning and it showed up with one partition of 4 gb and one of 111 gb with some free space left over. Not sure what they did but her computer is running a LOT faster with another drive in it than it was with this one. And after reformatting and installing PCLOS on it this computer is running fine. No errors showing up on the drive now either. Suspecting they used some kind of compression on it but who knows. Copied all the files from my home directory over to a backup directory on the new drive and moved the .mozilla folder to the home directory. Installed everything else from scratch. Just shut it down and added a CD burner that I had laying around. Already had a DVD burner. Have a 80 gb drive as extra storage. Gotta get the files in it moved over to my home directory and/or burned to backup CD’s, then clear that one off and use it as a website test/backup drive. Tis late and I am about done in, so gonna call it a night and start anew tomorrow. Till then…

Been a day of computer changes

By , May 8, 2008 11:03 pm

Or updating or something. Earlier in the week had replaced a hard drive in Cat’s machine with a new one cause hers was showing errors. After replacing it and copying everything over to the new one got to looking at the one I took out. When in the machine it was showing up with 2 partitions, one about 4 gb and one about 152 gb, and when the computer was bought it was advertised as having a 160 gb drive. But when I got it out it stated on the drive it was a 120 gb drive. Looked it up online and the specs showed it as a 120 gb drive. Put it in my linux box this morning and it showed up with one partition of 4 gb and one of 111 gb with some free space left over. Not sure what they did but her computer is running a LOT faster with another drive in it than it was with this one. And after reformatting and installing PCLOS on it this computer is running fine. No errors showing up on the drive now either. Suspecting they used some kind of compression on it but who knows. Copied all the files from my home directory over to a backup directory on the new drive and moved the .mozilla folder to the home directory. Installed everything else from scratch. Just shut it down and added a CD burner that I had laying around. Already had a DVD burner. Have a 80 gb drive as extra storage. Gotta get the files in it moved over to my home directory and/or burned to backup CD’s, then clear that one off and use it as a website test/backup drive. Tis late and I am about done in, so gonna call it a night and start anew tomorrow. Till then…

Panorama Theme by Themocracy