Bit by bit

By , March 17, 2008 7:24 pm

I do seem to be getting better. Haven’t slept at all today, which is more than I can say for any day in the last few. Thinking back I think this started last Tuesday but the sleeping most of the day didn’t start till Saturday. Back still hurts, and with that and the pinched nerves the gut is quite painful if I move except when the back is in a certain position, then all is ok. I think the fever is gone and I seem to be doing better with the bug so hopefully all is on the mend.

Hoping to get over to the yard sale trailer tomorrow and start working on things in there again.

Got out this afternoon and cooked a couple of shoulder roasts (beef) in the dutch oven (12″) Turned them several times about a half hour apart and cooked them for almost 2 hours. Quite tasty and tender though a bit dry. Will soak them at least overnight if not for 24 hours next time and see if that takes care of it.

Am going to look for a book to read for a while and then hit the sack. Till tomorrow…

2 Responses to “Bit by bit”

  1. Steve says:

    I assume you had a cover on the Dutch oven when you cooked. I usually add a little water if necessary to moisten up beef roasts when I cook them. Or douse them with mushroom soup and some water/milk. That works for me. I find the cheaper the cut, the more tender it is/the quicker it tenderizes.

    Hope your recovery continues. I have just about (typing with crossed fingers here) gotten over whatever it was that I had, and hopefully, since I’m not around several hundred disease vectors this week (i.e., students) I won’t get reinfected and my immune system can get up to par. Whatever par is nowdays…

    Well, gotta go get the trash out (It’s Trash Day! Yeah!) and shower and get ready to work. Going in to correct an ID10T error on my part having to do with time update software. Ah, the joys of defaults/profiles….

  2. Dave says:

    The 12″ and 14″ dutch ovens are cooked in outside and use charcoal briquet’s both top and bottom for the heat source, so yep it had the lid on. πŸ˜‰ I may have over cooked it but was trying to get as much of the fat out of the meat as possible. Had it in a perforated container inside the oven raised above the bottom on 3 spoons to keep the bottom of the meat from burning. The tenderness was there as well as the taste, just a bit too dry. All the recipes I have looked at call for a 12 to 24 hour soak in the marinade and I just took this right from the shrink wrap, smeared it with oil and barbecue sauce and started cooking. The pork roasts I have done this way turned out fine. Live and learn. Adding water would have been a good idea to heal keep the moisture level up.

    Still feel like crap but a better grade of crap than yesterday so must be improving. Just wish I didn’t have this nausea today, which is a new and different symptom. Mid back is better, but lower back is quite painful today. I think all the sitting and lying down is getting to it.

    Good luck with the software. I’m debating on whether or not to install the newest WordPress 2.5-RC1 or wait for the final. Parts of me want to update and try it out and other parts say leave it alone, it’s working fine. Right now the nausea is winning and I’m gonna go lay down for a bit and see if this too won’t pass.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Panorama Theme by Themocracy